How do you make the best parachute?
- Cut out a large square from your plastic bag or material.
- Trim the edges so it looks like an octagon (an eight sided shape).
- Cut a small whole near the edge of each side.
- Attach 8 pieces of string of the same length to each of the holes.
- Tie the pieces of string to the object you are using as a weight.
How do you make a parachute last longer in the air?
A circular shape can stay the longest in the air, because a circular shape has a uniform edge which provides the most air resistance which gives the softest landing.
How do you make a parachute fall slower?
The larger the surface area, the more air resistance and the slower the parachute will drop. Cutting a small hole in the middle of the parachute will allow air to slowly pass through it rather than spilling out over one side, this should help the parachute fall straighter.
How do you make the best plastic bag parachute?
Making the parachute
- Cut the grocery bag down to a large flat square.
- Trim off the corners of the square so you now have an octagon (8-sided shape).
- Use the hole-punch to punch small holes near each angle.
- Put clear tape over the holes as reinforcement, and then punch holes again.
Does the size of a parachute affect how fast it falls?
The size of the parachute affects the speed of falling because a larger parachute allows it to displace more air, causing it to fall more slowly. If you consider the extreme example of no parachute, an object will fall quickly.
What will protect an egg when dropped?
Plastic Bag Designs
A hard shell is not the only way to protect an egg during an egg drop. Plastic bags are less of a shell, but they provide a structure to hold padding material around the egg. Add padding such as foam, bubble wrap or packing peanuts between the egg and the side of a small plastic bag.
What is the best shape for a parachute?
The circle parachute should demonstrate the slowest average descent rate because its natural symmetrical shape would be the most efficient design to maximize wind resistance and create drag.
Does the size of the parachute matter?
How large a parachute is (in other words, the parachute’s surface area) affects its air resistance, or drag force. The larger the parachute, the greater the drag force. In the case of these parachutes, the drag force is opposite to the force of gravity, so the drag force slows the parachutes down as they fall.
Why is there a hole in a parachute?
Parachutes catch a lot of air, creating a lot of drag. They can drastically slow a fall, allowing a softer landing. … Some parachutes have a hole in the center to release air in a controlled way. It makes the chute more stable, with only a minimal change in drag.