The largest, most elaborate wau are used in kite flying competitions, while smaller ones with near-identical shapes and designs serve as decorative items. The main component of a wau, the wings, resemble a large leaf, and are balanced by a “horn” or head on top and a bottom (tail) of varying shape.
What is the purpose of Wau kite?
Apparently, farmers also used kites as flying scarecrows to frighten off birds in the fields. Wau are also flown for the sound they make which lulls the children to sleep, leaving the adults more time for work. Some kite makers leave a wau flying at night and fall asleep to the sounds of the kite.
What is the characteristic of Wau kite?
The size of wau bulan is bigger than any other Malaysian traditional kite. The typical size is 2.5 meters in width and 3.5 meters in length. This makes the decorations painted on the kite’s body to be visible when it is flown high in the air.
What are the types of Wau?
The 5 Types Of Wau
- Wau Bulan. Also known as the Moon Kite since the crescent-shaped lower sail looks a little like a moon in the sky. …
- Jala Budi. Also known as the Woman Kite, although considerable imagination is required to see why, from it’s shape! …
- Kuching. This means Cat Kite. …
- Barat. Or, the Leaf Kite. …
How do you make a Wau kite?
Wau Kite Making Directions
- Assemble materials: …
- Tape butcher paper or Tyvek sheet to table.
- Trace kite outline with marker.
- Add couple drops soap to small dish of paint. …
- Dip stamp into paint in dish. …
- Tape stencil over desired area of kite. …
- Dip wide paintbrush in paint. …
- Dip damp sponge shape into paint.
Which country belongs kite?
What kind of art is Wau kite?
Answer: Wau bulan (Jawi: واو بولن) is an intricately designed Malaysian moon-kite (normally with floral motifs) that is traditionally flown in the Malaysian state of Kelantan.
What is the utilization of Wau kite of Malaysia?
Wau bulan is an intricately designed Malaysian moon-kite (normally with floral motifs) that is traditionally flown in the Malaysian state of Kelantan. It is one of Malaysia’s national symbols, some others being the hibiscus.
What is Wau Daun?
Wau Daun is an easy flyer during the least wind condition. The frame is made of bamboo strips and the sail is of kite paper. This Wau Daun is handpainted using Fabric Dye and Poster Color.
What is the biggest and most popular Thai kite?
What is Wau kite made of?
The frame (rangka) of a wau is made from light, flexible bamboo, the strips measured and tied together by means of thin string. Symmetry and balance are important. The frame is then usually covered with three layers of paper.